Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pablo Neruda




Pablo Neruda makes me jealous.

In all honesty, I don't know what does it. The poems I like most of his, If You Forget Me and Love Sonnet XVII, are the ones that really get to me. I love the simplicity of them. I feel like, generally speaking, you can get across the most honesty, and the emotions that most everyone understands, if you speak simply. Think about it: when you say just one word, say, "lost" or "sunbeam" or "forlorn", a very specific feeling comes to mind. Neruda is talented in taking only a few words and letting them sink in deep. My favorite is the phrase that simply says, "If you forget me, I shall already have forgotten you." How... depressing. It's like the poor guy is trying to convince himself that he will be just fine if the love of his life forgets him. 

He won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment